About Me

My photo
Stratford, CT
Just a mom trying her best to make the most of every day.

Saturday, July 11, 2009

How to make my husband crazy in 3 easy steps

Even though the number of children that we have has only doubled in the last year, it seems as though the number of toys has quadrupled. Despite the fact that we have a room dedicated to toys, they are everywhere. In the living room, our bedroom, the bathroom, there is even an exersaucer in the kitchen.



A couple of months ago, Brandon said enough is enough....I am going to break my neck. Thus began the "basement project." This involved semi-finishing (cleaning, painting, adding rugs and furniture-maybe a treadmill?) and most importantly moving the toys down!! It was supposed to be a three day project, but as with most things, didn't end up that way. That was a couple of months ago, and the project still isn't complete. (In his defense, we have been really busy- vacation, Father's Day, a tag sale) And that's not the point of this story!



In my excitement for a basement playroom, I promptly located a train table on Freecycle. com (yahoo groups- you should check it out) drove an hour to pick it up and planted it smack in the middle of our current, already filled to capacity playroom. My enthusiasm for a free toy and that it was something we really needed, was only a fraction greater than the irritation Brandon had for bringing in another toy. A huge room engulfing one at that.



So the other day the kids and I were dropping off leftover items at the local Goodwill. When I pulled into the donation site, what did I see? A perfect! Step 2 kitchen just right for our soon? to be completed basement.



I rushed to the attendant, "Can I buy this please?"



She lifted her head from the bin she was working on, "you'll have to wait for me to price it."



"okay, I'll wait."



Begrudgingly, she got her price gun and stamped my kitchen $10!!! (they retail for over $100)



In hindsight, I probably could have gotten it for less if I hadn't been so excited, but its for a good cause.



So, we bring it home and clean it up and Caleb wants to bring it right inside. Oh no I say, Daddy's head will explode if one more toy comes into this house. So, we "hid' it in the freshly cleaned garage.



When Brandon came home, it didn't take long for him to discover the toy.



"Did you buy this because you finished the basement, while I was at work?" ha ha



"No, I found it today and couldn't pass it up."



He shook his head a muttered something I couldn't quite make out- thankfully, Goodwill has a no return policy, or it might have gone back.





PS. Want to know how my husband can make his wife crazy? move the clothes hamper from his side of the bedroom because its too crowded over there, and then continue to leave dirty clothes in a pile on the floor where the hamper used to be.


xoxo honey!




For those of you who missed it on FB, here's my Caleb bear picking raspberries yesterday at Lyman's orchards. Jamberry is one of our favorite books, and if you've never read it, its great by Bruce Degan.



No comments: